Saturday, 19 December 2009

PARAMORE - Live In London

Last night. Was immmense. It was hectic, crazy, and really quite violent. But, it was incredible. There were some negative points, but mostly positive points - one of which was seeing Paramore live in London for the second time.

It's been over 22 months since I last saw them headline (Brixton, 1 Feb '08), and I've really been so excited about this concert - almost more excited than I've been for any other concert. Paramore's 'brand new eyes' is one of the greatest albums I've heard, and I've been looking forward to hearing it live.
We got a snow day yesterday - as you've probably already read - which meant there was no school, so I could chill out in the morning, and take my time getting ready for the gig. There were a few of us going, so we decided to meet up at Liverpool St Station at 3.00pm, giving us plenty of time to get up there, and get a good spot in the queue; we wanted to be right near the front. At Liverpool St, we got some food, hung out, and got on the tube an hour later. It wasn't long before we got to Wembley Park Station, and began the walk through the cold and over the ice towards the legendary Wembley Arena, lit up next to the Stadium. We had 90 minutes to kill in the queue - which was already incredibly long. Yeah, we knew then that we weren't going to be at the barrier. Pel and I walked to McDonald's to use the toilet (they wouldn't let us in to even use the toilet), and I spoke to some of my other friends who were in the queue on the other side of the Arena. The time went by pretty quick. Doors opened at six. We got our wristbands, got to keep our tickets, and headed inside. Cutting the boring part of the story short, we went to he toilet, bought merch (I got a Paramore tee with the tour dates on :D), dropped our stuff at the cloakroom, and headed into the standing area.

We found a decent spot about 50 people back (If you've been to Wembley, we were in line with the front 'No crowdsurfing!' sign), and Now, Now Every Children, the first support act, came on. They were alright - very mellow, with bursts of rock. I'll be honest, a couple of times I almost forgot music was playing, but yeah, they were alright. The next band to come onstage was Paper Route. They were great. They were rock, and they had a turntablist - it doesn't get much cooler! They're friends with Paramore, and for one of their songs near the end of their set, the drummer jumped off of the drums, and Zac played onstage with them! It was awesome; the crowd went crazy. You should should check out their song 'Wish' - they played it last night, and it's a pretty good song. You Me At Six were up next. Up to this point the crowd had been calm. Even before there was any music, even as nothing was happening, there were surges, and people were falling forwards. We took advantage, went with it, and made our way as far forward as we could go. As the lights went down for YM@6, everyone went crazy, and the surging began. It was just hectic. Our group all tried to stay together, but it was difficult. If you know what it's like in a surge, you'll know you can't really move - well, I was getting pushed into this one guy, and he threatened me to get off him. I was like, 'Seriously, I'm trying'. Anyway, as YM@6 were playing, everyone got sweaty, pushed around, and squashed. You Me At Six were alright. They played some songs of my favourite songs of theirs, like 'Save It For The Bedroom', 'If I Were In Your Shoes', and 'The Consequence'. During 'Always Attract', Elissa Franceschi joined them onstage to sing. We kept moving forward at every opportunity during their set, and got so close to the front - we've moved forward from about 50 people back, to about 10 people back. YM@6 were finally done, and Paramore were up next. After You Me At Six's set, we'd lost the other, and it was just Pelham, Clare, and myself sticking together. We all needed a drink so bad, but didn't want to give up our spot we'd fought for. So we stuck it out.

The lights went down. Paramore came onstage. And they played one of the greatest sets ever. Check it:

Brand New Eyes Tour Intro
Ignorance
I Caught Myself
That's What You Get
Looking Up
crushcrushcrush
Turn It Off
The Only Exception
Pressure
Careful
Where The Lines Overlap
Decode
My Heart

Encore:
Misguided Ghosts
Misery Business
Brick By Boring Brick

It really doesn't get much better. As Paramore came onstage, the atmosphere was incredible. The lead into 'Ignorance' was awesome. 'I Caught Myself' was amazing. Ok, I know I shouldn't rewrite the setlist with an adjective following each song, but you get how great the concert was, right? At the beginning of their set, we were so close to the front; I was about ten metres from Hayley... She is so beautiful. Clare and I stayed together (and we found her sister in the standing area) after losing Pel, and lasted through six songs before leaving to get water before we passed out. We were all already exhausted. 'Turn It Off' is an excellent song, but I'm glad we left then and instead of sooner or later. We stayed outside for a couple of minutes, drinking, recovering, before going back inside the auditorium - now at the very back of the standing area. We finished our drinks, and I went to the toilet before we weaved our way back forward. Just as I was heading for the toilet, Hayley was calling some people up onstage, and I found out once I'd come out that one guy had just proposed to his girlfriend onstage! Can't believe I missed that... Haha, that's so awesome, eh?! During 'The Only Exception', we weaved our way back into the crowd and found ourselves and excellent spot, not far from where we started at the beginning of the night. We were behind the havoc here, so were able to breathe and enjoy the music. It was great to see the Paramore jump again during 'Pressure'. 'Decode' was particularly awesome. During that song, Clare noticed Pelham on someone's shoulders, and we weaved our way through the crowd, and found our group again...
'My Heart' was absolutely the highlight of the night. It's probably one of the greatest songs I've ever heard live. I got on Mike's shoulders for the entire song, and it was really phenomenal. I was in the middle of a 12,500 person arena, above the rest of the crowd, level with the band, singing the lyrics at the top of my voice, and enjoying the incredible atmosphere. That very moment will go down as one of the greatest moments of my life. The whole concert was being recorded, with cameras in different spots, and one overhead the crowd on a crane. As I was on Mike's shoulders, singing to 'My Heart', having the time of my life, I saw the camera focus on me. So if the concert gets released on DVD or whatever, look out for me. :) It was amazing... And Josh's screams were so intense, and so impressive.
Then, the encore finished the night off brilliantly. 'Misguided Ghosts' is a beautiful song anyway, and our group stood in a circle and swayed as we sung. Then 'Misery Business' was interesting... Pel put Laura on his shoulders, and then Mike put Emily on his shoulders, so Clare got on my shoulders... But, this isn't a soft song, and I think the kids behind we getting annoyed with us; they kept pushing Clare, which made it difficult for me to keep her up. Anyway, as I tried to get her down, we both stacked it... Hahaha, it's funny now that I think about it. Then, for the rest of the song, I jumped into the mosh pit, which we were now right on the edge of. It was crazy and violent, but a lot of fun... And then, I really don't know what happened - whether someone just pushed me really hard or what, but my feet came out from under me, and my back slammed square onto the floor... I was like, 'Whaat?!' People helped me up straight away, which was awesome, and I was alright, but I didn't go back into the pit... As you know, 'Brick By Boring Brick' was the very last song. Everyone went all out, and it was so impressive, with silver confetti was fired into the air... A great end to the evening. The band all took centre stage, held hands, and took a bow...

The concert was amazing, and I really did enjoy it. Paramore are such an amazingly talented band, and seriously, Hayley is so hott in real life. We left the venue at 11.00pm, and get the train to Liverpool St Station, where my Dad was waiting to pick up me and a couple of my friends. We enjoyed Chicken McNuggets on the way home, and I was really so so exhausted. I didn't get home and to bed until 1.30am, but I did have a good time, and now have even more incredible memories...

No comments:

Post a Comment