Sunday, 20 September 2009

COLDPLAY LIVE!

Girls Aloud, Jay-Z, COLDPLAY - Wembley Stadium, 19/09/09

It. Was. Just. Incredibly. Phenomenal.

Twenty-four hours ago right now, Coldplay were onstage in London, performing their 159th concert. It was just awesome. I did an earlier shift at work than I usually do, to give me time to get to Wembley, and then even got let off early, which was great. Charlotte went up earlier in the day to get some good seats as we had general admission tickets, and I got the train, then the tube to join her. The train on the metro line going to Wembley Park station was packed, it was ridiculous! I got off the train, and began the walk to the awesome stadium... It just looks amazing. By the time I got in, the first support band - The White Lies - had already finished. I got in, and tried to call Charlotte, but couldn't connect. I kept calling and calling, texting, and praying, walking slowly around the entire outside of the pitch trying to find her; I knew roughly were she was because I helped her get seats over the phone while I was on the train, but had no idea where exactly. Girls Aloud came on. I so wanted to watch them, what with my epic crush on Cheryl Cole an' all, but I kept looking around the stadium. They were pretty awesome though, and I was singing along to the music. I bought some (awesome) merch, and then finally found her in the crowd, and went over to sit with her. They really were good seats - half way up block 142. Jay-Z was on next. I didn't really wanna have to sit through his set; I'm not into rap, or the gangsta scene, or any of that, but he was absolutely phenomenal. He is just one of the most amazing performers I've ever seen - he owns the stage, and is one of the coolest people. "I'm not a businessman, I'm a business, man!" Everyone was just bouncing to the beat, going all out. It was so much fun. The atmosphere was incredible. And I actually nearly freaked out when his last song of the set began, 'Numb / Encore'. I went crazy from the opening notes. I so so wanted Linkin Park to come out and join him onstage, but knew that wasn't gonna happen. So yeah, I was very impressed with Jay-Z. "I appreciate all y'all energy tonight..." Legend.

COLDPLAY were up next. I was pretty excited. As soon as the lights when out, I jumped out of my seat and started screaming. And for good reason - it was epic. Here's the set list:

Life In Technicolor
Violet Hill
Clocks
In My Place
Yellow
Glass Of Water
Cemeteries Of London
42
Fix You
Strawberry Swing
God Put A Smile Upon Your Face / Talk (techno version)
The Hardest Part (Chris piano)
Postcards From Far Away
Viva La Vida Lost+ (feat. Jay-Z)
Death Will Never Conquer (acoustic - sung by Will)
Trouble (acoustic guitar)
Billie Jean (cover)
Politik
Lovers In Japan
Death And All His Friends
(Encore:)
The Scientist
Life in Technicolor ii

Then 'The Escapist' played as an outro as everyone left. The concert itself was one of the greatest things I'd ever seen. The lights and sounds, the epic noise... It starting raining just as Coldplay came on, which was so perfect. It looked amazing, and added to the atmosphere... For 'Yellow', giant yellow balloons were released into the crowd. Chris got everyone in the entire stadium to sing "Look at the stars, look how they shine for you, and all the things that you do... And they were all yellow...", before playing a vid of Simon Cowell saying 'how dreadful it was', as though we were auditioning for X Factor. 'Fix You' was so awesome, so emotional. And I loved 'Strawberry Swing', which is one of my favourites anyway. Chris messed up the words to 'The Hardest Part part, which was so funny. 'Viva La Vida' was incredible, with the entire stadium chanting their famous chant "oh oh ohhhh-uh-ohhhhh" for minutes after the song had finished. 'Lost!' is great anyway. For 'Death Will Never Conquer', 'Trouble', and their cover of 'Billie Jean', they were on a tiny stage at the back of the standing area. 'Trouble' was so awesome, played on acoustic guitar instead of piano. And at this point, they stopped singing, turned off all the lights, and got the entire crowd to get out their phones - which in itself was an awesome sight - before doing a phone mexican wave a few times around the stadium. It was incredible... One of my favourites of the night was actually 'Politik', and I was jumping and clapping to the intense beat and flashing lights. The rest of the songs are just great. I really love them. Butterfly confetti was falling all through the stadium as they played 'Lovers In Japan'. Right at the end, bright, colourful fireworks lit up the sky above the open-air stadium, finishing off the night perfectly after 'Life In Technicolor ii'. I loved it. Just loved it. It's probably the best concert I've ever been to. Best quotes of the evening from Chris Martin: "I just want to say Hi to everyone right at the top there, who are in a different time zone. You'll probably hear this in ten minutes or so. Actually, make some noise if you're right up there... You know what, I couldn't even hear the reply!" "If you can't see us at the back, don't worry, you're not missing much; we not as good-looking as Take That" "I want to thank you guys for all coming along. I mean, you're missing X Factor to watch us, so thank you" (These aren't the exact quotes, but you get the idea.) Here's some pics:


My ears are still ringing now, and all I have is a tour tee, photos and vids, and really, really great memories. Listening to Coldplay on a CD now just isn't so good after seeing their spectacular live show. I absolutely loved every second...

3 comments:

  1. so jealous. im happy you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome luke! i am just as jealous as lyss. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. :D It was amazzziiinngggg! I wanna be back there!!

    ReplyDelete