Saturday, 29 November 2008

N F G !

It was pretty intense.

I went to see New Found Glory at the legendary Brixton Academy last night, after being excited for their EasyCore Tour for absolutely months… I saw them supporting Paramore back on 1st February, and they were awesome, so by the 28th, I had tickets to see them in their own headlining show.

So, after another day at college, Fran, Sarah, and I went back to Sarah’s house to eat, chill, and sort out our image, before Nic came over, and we headed up to London on the train. We got to the Academy just after doors opening, with no queue, going straight to the merchandise stand and cloakroom, before heading into the standing area. We pushed our way to the front as Crime In Stereo were performing.

The crowd was pretty still, just watching, with a couple of kids singing along, until the last song, when a push pit broke out. I was psyched for the gig, and after some hesitation, jumped in. It was awesome! Just jumping around, bumping into other people, going crazy to the music… I also managed to get out of the pit, and stand much closer to the barrier than we were, so when the first support band went off, I pulled the other three closer to the stage. We had a potentially good spot for the rest of the concert.

Four Year Strong were on next. They were excellent, and got the crowd going. Their songs are pretty hardcore, and there were more pits forming, which in enjoyed jumping into. The band also got the crowd to start a circle, something I wanted to do that night, so I ran into that too. That was a lot of fun, running round in a huge circle to the music with so many other people…

I managed to keep going to a bar at the back of the standing area, getting drinks in between bands, keeping us all hydrated and cool. I poured water over my hair and face, and down my t-shirt, ruining my new tour tee, not caring what I looked like anymore. We also found Greg, and then Emily and Claire, and I pulled the girls over to join us, weaving in between hundreds of people. We chatted for a while, before Set Your Goals came onstage. They were seriously hardcore. I didn’t like them much, and the crowd went crazy. We were now behind the pit at the front, and people kept jumping into us. I jumped around a bit, but spent most of my time making sure the girls were alright. They got quite into it, pushing people away from them… By the time they went off, the crowd was really crowded, and we waited in excitement for New Found Glory to come on…

Finally the lights dimmed, flags were carried onto the stage and signs lowered from the ceiling as ‘Glory, glory, hallelujah’ played, and New Found Glory bounced onto the stage. The crowd went wild, and I did my best to go along with it, but it was seriously too much; a crowd surfer landed on my head, and I felt my neck crack with potential whiplash. It was awful. I was getting so crushed, that I moved back to the first barrier back with Emily – after Sarah, Nic, and Claire had already moved away from the front. But then my back was being smashed against the barrier, so we moved further back, and ended up behind the bigger most pit, with much more room to enjoy the music. New Found Glory were pretty good, and they played a lot of my favourites, including ‘Truth Of My Youth’, ‘Iris’, ‘Hit Or Miss’, ‘Hold My Hand’, ‘It’s Not Your Fault’, ‘Dressed To Kill’, ‘Kiss Me’, ‘All Downhill From Here’, ‘Tip Of The Iceberg’, and loads more, as well as a new song. It was heckka loud, but it rocked, and I really enjoyed the songs I knew. Emily and I were singing to each other, dancing, and having a good time. New Found Glory are very good live, and performed with so much energy. They went off stage, and the next band, New Found Glory came on, finishing the show with a three song encore. The very last song they played was ‘My Friends Over You’, which is awesome, and I jumped into the pit, making the most of the last song of the night…

New Found Glory are a funny, chill band, and had a great time onstage. Although it was the most hardcore concert I’d ever been to, I was impressed with the pit etiquette, where if someone fell over, they’d help you up, as they did for me at one point, and people helping crowd surfers over the barrier. It was pretty violent, but much better once we’d moved back. We chilled out, had fun, and enjoyed the music.

I left, aching, tired, hungry, and thirsty, and after queuing up for a long time to collect our bags, said goodbye to Greg, Em, and Claire, and headed for Fran’s dad waiting for us in the car down the road. During the drive home, I crashed out for a while, while Fran played music, then came alive again when she put Forever The Sickest Kids on before I got dropped off…

It was a good night.

It was pretty intense…

No comments:

Post a Comment